Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Watch Out Kid!! I'm in 1st
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Motocross on TV today like I do from time to time and it just struck me. Why do dirt bike use spoked rims?? Wish spokes you need a tube so do the bikes need that tube to help hold the seal on th tire?? Is it a weight issue? Strength??

What do you all think?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Despite how a spoke rim looks, they're actually very strong. They're resistant to forces acting from side to side, where as mags tend to get bent and twisted. Also like you said, mags weigh allot more. I would think, that since the free spinning of the wheels helps keep a bike stable in jumps, a mag would probably work against the rider. Did you see in Dirt Bike magazine last year they tested a two wheel drive YZ450f. They said it felt more planted than anything else, but when coming off jumps it felt really strange. And on landings it was almost impossible to be smooth. I'm sure mags would have no where near the effect of a second drive system... but little things matter when everyones machine is so closely matched anyway.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
DB wheels take a lot of impact and abuse, and spokes evenly distribute strength/support around the entire rim, vs. 3-6 pts. like on a sportbike wheel. Also, if a rim gets bent, you might be able to true it back, or you can replace just the rim instead of the whole wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The spokes are part of the suspension for dirtbikes, which is important; don't you think? ;)

·
SPODE in training
1,745 Posts
EXKid416 said:
The spokes are part of the suspension for dirtbikes, which is important; don't you think? ;)
I don't need my spokes... I don't jump anything, so I don't need 'em :p

I knew a kid that landed a 60ft pit jump (double) on his KTM 50. Not very impressive until he pulled over and showed his dad that he landed all the jumps that practice session with half the spokes broken :laughing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts