Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why'd you join up? Why that branch?

I'll tell my story later... It's a real tale....!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I was brainwashed! :D Women like men in uniform :D Free Medical and food! :D

Seriously, I dunno, but it did help me to grow up, not that I had any problem. I remember seeing guys that had problems when they shouldn't have like in Basic or the guys that get a huge check on the first and they spend it all onyl to get a $10 check on the 15th because finance automatically corrected their error. Of crouse, everybody says AF Basic is a joke and when you tell people you were only there 12 days, they say WHOA, its easier than they thought.

Why I joined? Comradery (sp?), I like helping people. Dunno why else at the moment.

Can you warn us when you give pop quizes like this in the future! :D

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Long family tradition..... (2 uncles in 'Nam, Grandpa, Dad, Cousins)

I was a machinist making $24 an hour (at the age of 18) and only 6 months away from my Journeymans certificaton..... I was tired of coming home totally DIRTY and I wanted to see the world.
I joined the Army 'cause the Marine Corps said no.... I wanted airborne and I medic and I told them I'd wait till it came up. Funny how something that's not there at the beginning suddenly shows up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was a machinist as well. I always knew I wanted to be in the military, and from my old man and others had told me, the Air Force is the best way to go. (My old man is former USMC) I was going to join strait out of High School, but dad convinced me to work for a year before to see what the work force is like, so I would want to stay in. It was the smartest thing I did. It gave me a chance to see what day to day life for the "normal" work force. Im glad I joined because I have met some GREAT people and have had some great times that I'll never forget. Sorry if this was too long, I could definately go on for much longer.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I guess you could say that having a father, grandfathers, uncle, and cousin in the military could have played a little part in it as well. Along with numerous friends.

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
I was 22...bored with school/work and wasn't doing well in either...walked into a recruiter and told him what I wanted...I got what I asked for and more :thumb

·
Registered
141 Posts
I honestly can't say I had a "reason" to join, I just felt like it was the right thing to do. I felt like I had to repay my debt in some way I guess.

·
1,480 Posts
(Figured out this years later) My mother gave me a choice between college and military, she thought I was too much of a wuss to sign up.

Glad I joined. Love the travel, met my wife, like the work. Can't beat the the advancement I am getting right now either:D

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
young , no real future without a plan or a home to go back to...no chance on being able to afford to go to college and live at the same time. A little more in depth on the journey to even get into the military, but its late and after being a post whore tonight ill save that one.

I will say this though....with injury , denied promotion, all the B/S ive had to endure the past 3 years. It was still the best thing I couldve done for "myself" Now to focus on doing something ill be comfortable with and enjoy when I get out.

·
The guy heading to Alaska
387 Posts
I joined the USCG for trade exsperience. I am a airplane mech. I had my A&P before I joined. I needed time turning wrenches to get a good job and the fasted way out of the parents house. :rolleyes: I joined the CG because aviation is set up just like the civilian world. I like the job I have so I think I am going to stay in awhile.:usa

·
Registered
767 Posts
My own sense of patriotism, long family history, many stories about action, comradery, parties, world travel. I guess I didn't listen to the stories about 36 hours work streaks and Mess duty. Ok I'm done whining.
I did 4 years in the Navy as a Damage Controlman, left as an E5. I now have a intense sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
This is a long story, but to para-phrase...My parents divorce, my mom was going to move to baltimore city, I said "no", I was going to stay with my "friend" to graduate. This one day, we had a late opening in high school(snow day). My first period was gym. We played basketball, and I was on the opposite side of this dude who was a complete druggie(pot, coke, speed...you name it). We were going for a loose ball, and he gets pissed because I got the loose ball first. He pushes me into a wall, which snapped 3 of my fingers in half, the bones were at a 90 degree angle. I turned around, saw him jumping up and down, edging me on, and I knocked him out with one left hook to the chin (I had been boxing for a few years at the time). We(yes, him too) went to the hospital, were they gave me some pain medication. Got discharged, with a cast. Later that night, I met a few "friends" (the one that I was going to stay with to graduate high school)at my girl's house(parents out of town, we had been planning this for a while). Another "friend" showed up with a big bag of pot. My girl said "no way, not here", so in a drunken, drugged up stupper(from the pain medication of which I had no idea what it was) went to my house. We started smoking it out back. I started seeing "things" and also thought I was going to die(from a sociology class about drug use, the scared us basically). I went crazy, went all the way upstairs, woke my mom and told her "I was going to die" she took me to the hospital, and when I got out, told me I wasn't going to move in with my friend. The next week, I went to my new high school, a Marine recruiter said "why aren't you talking to anybody" I told him I was new, parents divorced, no collage money or plans, 3 days later I was swearing in and 10 years later, I got out...there's my story:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
One word sums up why I joined: HONOR!

The United States Military is the best of the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I joined to learn a job skill and get some school done. After a little over 4 years I got out just shy of an associates degree and a full time civ job back in the same office I worked in and a lot better pay. If I could have stayed where I was because I liked it so much I would have kept reenlisting

·
Registered
104 Posts
Damn, I feel kinda stupid for the reason I joined. I got my private pilot Lic at 17 and figured what the hell, I'll be a pilot right?. Then the Recruiter said he'd give me a big ole wall size pic of some FA18's taking off from a carrier. Never got that but don't regret the expeience one bit!. I went to the Nav because of my grandpa and the fact that my dad was in the Army and said NO WAY KID. (He refused to sign me up) But the Nav was ok to him....I dunno.... Anyways, I saw alot of the places people pay alot of money to see for free. I also saw some places people were paying to get out of. The best part, now I'm hooked up. Big cha-ching. Fellas, pay attention to detail, do your job to the best of your ability and have a good time guys...and gals. Most important, take them for eveything you can. Any school, take it!You can learn alot of stuff that most pussies, I mean people, pay alot of money for. And you'll laugh later! The best part, it's free, except for your time but believe me, people appreciate that. I know I do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wanted to be a pilot, but my eyes went bad around my freshman year of high school...didn't really know what to do, and somehow ended up at the coast guard academy. Now I'm getting laser sugery done as soon as I turn 21 later on this year and hoping to get into flight school after I graduate! God bless medical advancements!

·
Registered
24 Posts
USAF (my Career)

Guess with my having glasses, I can't say it's because I wanted to be a pilot. :D

It basically came to me as I hated my college life. Getting up at 6am for History (yuck) I started skipping that class, and by the end of my Freshman year, I started skipping English and Math (did good on the math tests anyways. he)

I happened to come across some buddies from the band (I was on a full ride for music . yeah I know Im stupid, but still have the offer open :D) and they were in the National Guard. I sat back and looked at what the military offered, and the only local recruiter we had was for the Air Force, so I went.

I applied in May of 97, and started basic training in October of that year. Went Ok. Lost weight from 136 and gradded basic at 116 pounds Dec 4, :eek and as an E-2 because of some college.

Went to technical school at Keesler AFB, MS for Communications/Navigations repair (2A1X3) for 7 months, and started my first duty station in Late July 98, after I got married to my lovely Lisa. (no...she was my gf from home, and she waited :D)

Stayed at Hurlburt AFB, FL until Feb 01, then got PCSed to Eglin AFB, FL (5 miles away:() and thats where I am now.

Orders to Edwards AFB, CA for next spring.

I did not make below-the-zone (E-4 6 months early) due to a mark down on my Enlisted Performance Report, but I did make E-5 my first time testing. For those other AF people out there, DO NOT think they are just giving the stripes away because they aren't. I've seen many airmen denied stripes even though they deserved then, while many others didn't.

Overall, I have really enjoyed my career so far. It seems that lots of people hate the military because they got a bad supervisor, or got stationed in a bad spot, so let me be one of many to tell you that you cannot base the military on one station or shop. Wait until you PCS to another base to determine how the military really works. I have seen too many great people seperate because of bad experiences, and they wonder how people can want to stay in.

There will ALWAYS be bad places for you to go, and I'm sure that some of you may already be there, but just think that there are many worse places to be stationed.

Me? It doesn't matter where I get sent. CONUS or OCONUS. Tinker, or Kunsan. It doesn't matter. I know that I have 70 more years in my life (God willing) and I khnow that I won't be stationed there forever, so I must make the most of where I am, what I have, and what difference I can make in those under me.
I plan on making my military tour a 30 year career as long as I can withstand the crap that is out there, and make a difference.

As far as benefits go, Yeah the military doesn't pay the best, but look at what you DON'T have to pay for: Medical, Dental, Housing, tax free loans inf you need them, 30 days paid vacation per year, Job security, Base Security if you live on base (post), 100% tuition assistance for school, MGI bill for school after you get out...te list goes on, and on.

So don't think that the civilian world is better...unless you already have a degree, or dont mind hard physical labor, the good paying jobs are hard to get. But there are some good ones out there, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
94zx9r, you're right and I'm not trying to say other than that but you are a bit mistaken on a few of your thoughts. As far as Med and Dental go, you DO actually pay but it's before your going rate. You never see that bro. It's gone already. (deductied from a figure already factored into your...and my pay) Housing, can't beat it, esp overseas! Vacation, you earn 2.5 day's a month....you know that. Job security: No doubt bro!! 100% tuition assistance...? Except for books. And finally MGIB, use it before you're out 10 yrs, otherwise it's useless. I miss the good ole days but can't sway from some kid readin this and thinking all is good. It Isn't. It's a big decision and as far as the degree thing goes you are hugely mistaken. Then again, I may be hugely luckey cuz I don't have one but am doing very , very well. (BUT ONLY BECAUSE OF THE MILITARY)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't go in until I was older; just past my 27th birthday. I wanted to serve my country, plain and simple. I chose the Air Force because they offered the school that I wanted.

My parents hated the idea; I had no family members who were prior military so they were naturally very apprehensive about my choice. Once I swore in, they became very, very supportive, and even made the trip from Michigan to San Antonio to see me. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shaun said:
94zx9r, you're right and I'm not trying to say other than that but you are a bit mistaken on a few of your thoughts. As far as Med and Dental go, you DO actually pay but it's before your going rate. You never see that bro. It's gone already. (deductied from a figure already factored into your...and my pay) Housing, can't beat it, esp overseas! Vacation, you earn 2.5 day's a month....you know that. Job security: No doubt bro!! 100% tuition assistance...? Except for books. And finally MGIB, use it before you're out 10 yrs, otherwise it's useless. I miss the good ole days but can't sway from some kid readin this and thinking all is good. It Isn't. It's a big decision and as far as the degree thing goes you are hugely mistaken. Then again, I may be hugely luckey cuz I don't have one but am doing very , very well. (BUT ONLY BECAUSE OF THE MILITARY)
I wasn't meaning to make it sound like the only way to go...:D...but it's not as bad as some people make it. that's all. As far as medical and dental, you were right! LMAO Although I' have yet to pay for medical, I had to pay for my wife to have here wisdom teeth taken out. And where I live, and in my hometown...if you don't have a degree, you'll be diggin ditches. he he he "some" places require a degree to really go up in pay, but some don't as well...just gotta find them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts