Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have a widescreen TV, how do normal TV shows display? Do you have black bars on the left and the right?

I've been looking at widescreen TVs and this question just popped into my head...

:D

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
Nistilian said:
For those who have a widescreen TV, how do normal TV shows display? Do you have black bars on the left and the right?

I've been looking at widescreen TVs and this question just popped into my head...

:D
Yes you will have black or gray bars on the sides. You can change this by using a different mode. Mine has 4 one is fill another is zoom. I use fill for reg tv. It does change the picture some. It will stretch the picture a little so all the ladies from Hollywood look like then eat three meals a day without putting a finger in there.

James

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
Here is my Sony 46". I can take pictures to show the bars if you want. BTW you can also see bars (top and bottom) with some widescreen movies. I guess there are 3 or 4 sizes for widescreen movies.

James

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
Forgot the tv.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flexin said:
Here is my Sony 46". I can take pictures to show the bars if you want. BTW you can also see bars (top and bottom) with some widescreen movies. I guess there are 3 or 4 sizes for widescreen movies.

James
No need to take pictures. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks! :thumb

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
i have the black bars on the left and right. i can't stand it when it stretches the picture or just blows it up. you learn to ignore it over time. some channels like espn put weird patterns back there to fill up the space.

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
Inferno said:
I heard the bars on the sides (not top bottom) were bad for the TV:confused
I heard they can be bad over time.

James

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Actually we were just in Brandsmart and there were several wide screens that do NOT have the black bars on each side for wide screen. Thank GOD too, because I HATE them! :D

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
ASDGirl said:
Actually we were just in Brandsmart and there were several wide screens that do NOT have the black bars on each side for wide screen. Thank GOD too, because I HATE them! :D
Regular tv is in a 4:3 format so you will get bars on the side. I don't like them myself so I just go used to the full setting. Its all worth it when I put something one in HDTV. :thumb

James

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
i suppose i might be bad in the long run. so far there's been enough full screen hd stuff that it spends maybe only half of its time with black bars. i figure over time that proportion will favor full-screen more and more.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I do not have black bars on the top and bottom, or sides... Unless I'm in HD mode... Which I won't be unless I'm watching something in HD. If I'm using the coxial cable connection for a signal than the TV stretches the picture. If I'm using the S-Video connection than it fills the whole screen in normal mode. Though people that aren't used to it say that everything looks stretched a bit. I don't notice it.

As for the bars always there, that is bad for a RPTV... It will eventually burn in. Of course this is also a function of your TV settings. If you have the TV set for blaze mode with the brightness and contrast cranked than you will have burn in problems for a lot of different reasons. But if you can live with it turned down a bit you will be less vulnerable to burnin. I play alot of video games on the TV and so far haven't burned it in that I know of.

I have a 55" Mitsubishi.

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
Ian said:
I do not have black bars on the top and bottom, or sides... Unless I'm in HD mode... Which I won't be unless I'm watching something in HD. If I'm using the coxial cable connection for a signal than the TV stretches the picture. If I'm using the S-Video connection than it fills the whole screen in normal mode. Though people that aren't used to it say that everything looks stretched a bit. I don't notice it.

As for the bars always there, that is bad for a RPTV... It will eventually burn in. Of course this is also a function of your TV settings. If you have the TV set for blaze mode with the brightness and contrast cranked than you will have burn in problems for a lot of different reasons. But if you can live with it turned down a bit you will be less vulnerable to burnin. I play alot of video games on the TV and so far haven't burned it in that I know of.

I have a 55" Mitsubishi.
+1 but you get the bar with HD? :confused HDTV should fill the screen. I get bars with some widescreen movies but I leave it for them. I want to see the whole picture.

James

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I get the bars on the sides when viewing normal broadcasts in the HD input mode. When it's actually coded HD then if fills the whole screen.

You get the horizontal bars in movies because the directors of those movies decided to film the movie in even greater aspect ratio than 16:9. I forget what the ratio is... Something like 2.35:1 or something. That stuff confuses me anyways. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a 50" DLP projection. It's such an amazing picture with HD that it's hard to watch regular TV. Most of the DVD's that I have are in widescreen format anyway so they pretty much fill up the screen. I also don't have to worry about "burn in" with DLP. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
fjrchick said:
@RSTed1000 yes, but can you hang it on the wall?
Nope, but it'll last longer than 3-5 years!!! :nanana

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What kind of an American are you? You are not doing your part for the economy. Pssht buying stuff that lasts. Next thing you know you are really going to start recycling.

·
Registered
607 Posts
:crackup I see that you're representing the other side of the spectrum riding on a Yamaha... New bike every year or two huh??? :nanana

j/k

1 - 20 of 32 Posts