Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my muffler off and i like the way it sounds. will anything mess up riding it without one?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Your driving privileges are at great risk and your bike may be in trouble too. You've upset the fuel/air ratio and this may in turn result in damage to the motor unless you get your mapping corrected accordingly. Without the muffler, the bike will probably run lean. Too lean and all sorts of serious damage can result. The best overall solution is to put the can back on avoid further reckless experimentation. When I was a kid I used to do stuff like that to my bike also, but I discovered that when the bike was excessively loud I had to run much slower than usual to avoid attracting the attention of every cop within 10 sq. miles. Who needs that? The quieter the pipe, the faster I could ride. Slightly off topic but I recently discovered that riding with ear plugs actually makes the muffler sound great. This eliminates or greatly reduces all the unpleasant engine noises and wind noise too. All that remains is a much sweater-sounding pipe everywhere you go. Give it a try.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
slickcdb2000 said:
I took my muffler off and i like the way it sounds. will anything mess up riding it without one?
if you're talking about the F4i, you'd better believe it.

Like Dave says above, you're going to be running lean (very lean in the case of the F4i which doesn't run all that rich to begin with, at least with the ones I've ridden). F4i is FI so the computer is trying to figure out how the hell to keep the bike running (absence of back pressure causes a lean condition).

Remapping will help, but you'll have to mess with it like crazy.

Better save up for all the tickets you'll get too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. i guess i better put the pipe back on. I just took it off today to polish the muffler and i figured what the hell, so i fired it up and it sounded really good. but i'm not going through all the trouble of mapping and all of that. I was just gonna take it off everynow and then and ride some back roads but if when i go on a ride with people or have to go to town or something like that put the muffler back on. but i guess i'm gonna put it back on anyways. thanks

·
Fuelled by Rice
461 Posts
you need some sort of back pressure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bikes Quest
It may be enticing to break out the wrenches and yank off your stock suppressor, however, the main thing that you will do is making your bicycle stronger and conceivably harming motor internals. By expelling your suppressor you increment your odds of consuming your fumes valves, softening plastics, or your boots because of the adjustment in heat conveyance, and conceivable exploded backward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts