Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aaarrrgggg....... Bill Gates, Microsoft, and Windows XP can go and suck a big fat one :mad .

Earlier this month, I purchased and installed a store bought software program and it was doing what it was suppose to at a rate of 8mb - 10 mb per second (I know this cuz it has a progress indicator while it's working). Then I noticed that it was running considerably slower last week (between 3mb - 5mb / sec.). This was pissing me off so I thought deleting my temporary files, cookies, and defragging my system would help..........nope, still was running slow. Then yesterday I was royally pissed cuz now the program was running at a snail's pace (between 0.5mb - 1mb / sec.):mad :mad . i was about ready to toss the fucking computer out the window. But then I went into "System Restore" just to see if anything weird was going on. BINGO !!!!!!..........I clicked backwards one day at a time starting from yesterday (12/27) until I got to when I installed the store bought program. It showed that on 12/17 and 12/26, two patches were installed on each of those days. What is weird is that they were automatically installed at a time when I wasn't online. Perhaps somewhere on my computer there is a selection which allows automatic updates (if anyone knows where this selection is, please let me know so that I can unselect this option)......I believe in the notion that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Anyhow, I restored my system back to when the store bought program was installed and now it's running like a champ :clap :giddy :rolling :dance4 (knock on wood).

I'm so happy right now, but at the same time I feel like seeking out Bill Gates and sticking a boot up his ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,023 Posts
ZXLNT said:
Yep go into control panel, then automatic updates, then turn them off.. I for one dont want windows Service Pack 2 on my computer so I made sure it wont auto update and self install...
Then you are asking for trouble.

This is what I do not get about people....and not you in particular ZXLNT, just those that bash MS all the time.

They find a problem and fix it...then people bitch that the do not want the fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,023 Posts
I hear ya man....all I was saying is that many people seem to kick MS in the shins for having security holes and then spit on them when they provide a fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Not trying to sound to much like a geek, but that's one of many reasons why I use Linux :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,959 Posts
I'm not running the XP os right now, but since I'm on dialup, I can't have XP doing updates on me without my okay first.

You can go into Control Panel, and it has an option for the Windows Update feature. You can leave it on full auto, have it prompt when updates are available so you can initiate the download, or turn it off completely. You also can disregard an update and tell it never to remind you again. I did that for SP2 on XP since I have the CD if I decide I want to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,689 Posts
TwoWheeldTerror said:
I hear ya man....all I was saying is that many people seem to kick MS in the shins for having security holes and then spit on them when they provide a fix.
When their "fixes" break or seriously degrade previously functional programs they deserve to get kicked in the shins, imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Yeah I had a problem 2 weeks ago. I restored my computer to factory settings and it slowed down to a crawl to the point I couldn';t use the internet. I was using msn but switched to comcast last week and everything is OK. I didn't install any new programs though. I assume it is Msn or a virus?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,512 Posts
Easiest thing, write your own OS. Every OS has problems in one way or another. Linux, while very good really isnt easy for the basic user to operate, although some distros are getting more window like. Linspire makes WinMe look like a godsend IMO.
 

·
CF Security Administrator,
Joined
·
6,639 Posts
Destitute said:
When their "fixes" break or seriously degrade previously functional programs they deserve to get kicked in the shins, imo.

You misspeled "balls" .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,323 Posts
XP Antispy

When I install XP I use this program. Helps remove those damn XP spy pieces. Great piece of program:thumb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,094 Posts
:basil :basil :basil It's ALWAYS all our fault. Users NEVER do anything to their computers that would cause the computer to get fucked up. Like installing crap freeware with zillions of pieces of spyware. go ahead and blame us though... :rolleyes.

Automatic updating was turned on by default for XPSP2 because users were NOT updating their computers and then getting mad at US because there computer wasn't properly updated. It's a position of being damned if you do and damned if you don't anymore. Those that want to bash MS will do it no matter what is done...it's a lost cause. Software cannot be made bug free, its the nature of software to have bugs. When things are discovered, they are fixed and patches released. NASA was able to develop a bug free system...it only cost them I believe 11 billion dollars. Not bad I suppose.

As YZFRob said...you don't like it, go and write a new OS and then maybe you'll be happy.

RingDingRider said:
Aaarrrgggg....... Bill Gates, Microsoft, and Windows XP can go and suck a big fat one :mad .
Sure...go ahead and reformat your machine install linux and good luck. Have fun!

P.S. I will not be engaging in a MS debate here. Those dead set on having a hard on for MS will have one no matter what is said...so I might as well talk to a fence. A lot of passion and hard work goes into Windows...more than I think most people realize. :shrug

Peace.
Nico
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,959 Posts
:cry :cry :cry

Nobody loves Bill Gates.

:cry :cry :cry

May the SOB die in a horrible accident because a computer running his software crashes at the wrong time. :laughing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,907 Posts
Re: Re: Windows XP users with slow running PC might want to read

Hypnotiq said:
:basil :basil :basil It's ALWAYS all our fault. Users NEVER do anything to their computers that would cause the computer to get fucked up. Like installing crap freeware with zillions of pieces of spyware. go ahead and blame us though... :rolleyes.

Automatic updating was turned on by default for XPSP2 because users were NOT updating their computers and then getting mad at US because there computer wasn't properly updated. It's a position of being damned if you do and damned if you don't anymore. Those that want to bash MS will do it no matter what is done...it's a lost cause. Software cannot be made bug free, its the nature of software to have bugs. When things are discovered, they are fixed and patches released. NASA was able to develop a bug free system...it only cost them I believe 11 billion dollars. Not bad I suppose.

As YZFRob said...you don't like it, go and write a new OS and then maybe you'll be happy.



Sure...go ahead and reformat your machine install linux and good luck. Have fun!

P.S. I will not be engaging in a MS debate here. Those dead set on having a hard on for MS will have one no matter what is said...so I might as well talk to a fence. A lot of passion and hard work goes into Windows...more than I think most people realize. :shrug

Peace.
Nico
+1

Amen Nico. :thumb

BTW I've never had any problems with any OS from Microsoft (since Windows 3.1 and dos) ;)


I used to beta test for MS :citadel
 

·
Power hungy mad man!
Joined
·
17,768 Posts
my personal experience tells me that a well setup firewall, good anti virus, 1 or 2 good spyware tools, and you dont need any of MS's patches. I too have had many problems with implementing updates...I dont know if the udpates themselves have bugs, or if theres a problem in the patching process...

but yeah, the end user is ultimately responsible...installing all kinds of shit they get from the internet...what do you thinks gonna happen?
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top