Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to thank Ron for the opportunity to purchase his fine machine, a GRC RR which was practically new. :)

2nd I would like to say it was fun to watch you guys rip it up at the indoor track. And for Tom for allowing me to take a few laps at the end of the race to get a feel for the bike and see what the track was like. ** Definitely different then the big bikes, it will take some more time to get used to it and know how to handle it properly. **

So what does one do when they get their first Pocket bike? Other then race home to get to a parking lot to take a few laps to see what she does. Next would be to rip her apart and see how she works, and do a little cleaning. (Trust me this bike really didn't need it as it looks practically brand new)

Now for a few questions from a newbie pocket bike owner:

1. When I go thru my Polini clutch pads and want to move to Bi-Zeta setup can I just change the backing plate and the pads or do I need to replace the drum also?

2. Taking a look at FastEddies bike on Saturday I noticed that his main fairing was 2 parts, Upper & Lower. The RR bodywork on my bike is a 1 piece (splits in 1/2), but for maint I though an upper & lower setup would be nicer. Is that a change from an older bike style to a new? If I order new bodywork will it be like what I have or do I need to specify the upper & lower fairing type when ordering.

Now I'm really looking forward to catching up with you all this up coming season.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
379 Posts
D.
You do not have to change the drum. you can throw on just new shoes as long as the posts on the balking plate are not all worn out. or throw on a whole set up. I would invest in a tach to set your clutch in the 8300 rpm range + - to your liking clutch engagment is a big deal the bike will suck if its not right. I set it up on the stand and watch the tach and hold the rear wheel in my hand and i giver some gas and when i feel her start to spin in my hand a litlel then i see what the tach says and go from there. i think they say its about 900 rpm or so for eacch full turn of the nut. but im not posative i would imagine with different springs that figure is different. Red springs is wehat you want.

glad your happy and cant wait to run wid ya.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike: Thanks for the info on the clutch. I'll look into a Bi-Zeta clutch and back plate then. Also I look at at getting a tach..

Thanks Civic, I'm in the process of sanding the bodywork down and painting her red for next season also. I'll get more pics when she's done. :D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What method did you decide to paint it with?

Andy

p.s. Stop posting, take a break from the bike, and go sign up for your Nepbra Membership :redflip

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL... Actually my old man has a car spray gun so I'm going to use that to make it easier.

Already a member over there, I'm on way too many forums as it is so I post here but I do look and reply to any posts over there also. :D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Tech-D said:
LOL... Actually my old man has a car spray gun so I'm going to use that to make it easier.

Already a member over there, I'm on way too many forums as it is so I post here but I do look and reply to any posts over there also. :D
I know you are a forum member, i was speaking to your Nepbra Racing membership for next season.

And a spray gun should work good. Its race bodywork, it doesnt have to be perfect.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oppsss... Sorry Bill, one of my downfalls in my remembrence of names, it takes a little. But I never forget a face. LOL :)

Thanks again Bill... :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
this is what its all about

i dont know why i get so excited when some 1 else gets a bike :( i guess im just so happy for them cause i KNOW its going to be some of the best $$ spent as far as fun wise ....... glad to see got yr bike and yr happy with it ..... i Knew u would be :clap :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, now I just need to get out on the track with you guys so I can be a rolling chicane. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
how big of a difference are there between the yellow and red springs and who carrys the different ones?

·
Moderator, , Dorkus Maximus
2,749 Posts
i believe yellow is the lightest and red is the heaviest. its a pretty significant difference and if you just throw in the yellows without any other changes you probably wont get a very good setup....unless you are like 80lbs!

vince
:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
huh.... well I have factory yellow ones in.... I weigh like 185lbs. I would be willing to try the reds.

where can I get a set of red springs for a stock polini clutch setup. I see MSM has some springs but it just says its a set and doesn't have a color listed.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check under the Bi-Zeta clutch their springs are colored. I believe you can use those springs if I am correct.

·
Moderator, , Dorkus Maximus
2,749 Posts
fstbusa said:
huh.... well I have factory yellow ones in.... I weigh like 185lbs. I would be willing to try the reds.

where can I get a set of red springs for a stock polini clutch setup. I see MSM has some springs but it just says its a set and doesn't have a color listed.
well, im about the same size +/-15lbs and i've used the yellow ones too. what im saying is that there is a big difference b/t yellow and red and if you have been using the red (i assumed, incorrectly, that you were) you cant just drop in the yellows and have them work. yes, i am stating the obvious. sorry for the confusion.

the set from MSM is the std polini spring kit. it has three thicknesses and would work fine if you have a polini clutch.

the colored springs are from BZ. yel, blu, red in order of increasing stiffness (if i remember correctly).

vince
:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts