Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edited for update:

I took my bike back into Woods...I'm not sure really what or where the breakdown was, but after the head of the service department was finally able to look at my bike they were able to fix it.

I am no longer having issues with the bike and I want to extend my gratitude to Melvin and his mechanics.. Thank you for fixing my bike. It's working correctly now.

My suggestion to those who may need to deal with Woods service dept, talk to Melvin if you get a chance. He's a nice guy and he just wants to do a good job.

bottom line.. woods came through for me and fixed my bike and I wanted to let that be known.

I bought a bike from Woods in Austin on Dec. 28. My birthday.

I purchased a Superhawk 996 '02. It only had 2500 miles on it and the price was right at blue book value. I felt I got a great deal.

After riding the bike a few times, I realized that it had a few issues.

1.) The gas guage seemed to be inaccurate.

So, I took the bike back in and asked that they check the gas guage. This was only 2 days after I had purchased it. After they looked at the bike, they said the gas guage was fine. I took their word for it and off I went to ride my bike.

2.) After riding the bike several miles on my way home, the bike cut out and died on me 5 times. At one point, I had to pull over into the construction area on 685 because my bike would not restart. I sat there for about 5-10 minutes and tried to start the bike again. It finally started. Now, I'm really worried about my safety as my confidence in the bike has now diminished and I'm worried about it dying on me again at an inopportune time.

3.) I ask a more experienced rider to ride my bike back up to Woods so that I can ask that they look at it again. The bike died on my friend twice. So, now, I'm thinking, no, it's not me, it truly is a bike issue.

4.) When we get to woods, I request that they check out the carbs and spark plugs and let me know what the problem is. They keep the bike for 2 days. They call me up and tell me that the spark plugs were bad, and they replaced them free of charge with brand new more expensive spark plugs. They also tell me that the bike is now in mint condition. My faith in the bike is now back up and I'm happy to be on my bike again.

5.) Me and SkrapIron hang outside the service area waiting to pick up my bike. I start the bike and it lags and doesn't hold it's idle. In fact, the idle is now below 1 grand whereas before I took the bike in the idle was turned up to 1400. So, the mechanic comes out and resets the idle to 1300. I let the bike warm up for a good amount of time, all the while the mechanic revs the shit out of the bike. I tell the mechanic to quit revving the bike like that, and finally me and Jason take off.

We get about an 1/8th of the way down the access road when we run into traffic and I downshift and the bike cuts out and dies again. Now, I'm extremely irritated and feeling disappointed. Here's a bike that I will be paying 6K for and it seems to be a piece of shit. I crank and crank the bike until it finally starts again as I coast thankfully down hill. I get the bike started and before I can get to the stop light it dies again.

I'm thinking now, that I'm going to head right back to Wood's and drop it off again.

Well, I finally get to Parmer and 685 when the bike dies yet again except this time it dies at 45mph and an impatient cage is right behind me. As my speed diminishes and my bike won't start back up as I'm coasting along, the cage honks at me and quickly swerves to get around me, at this point, I'm scared. I'm scared because, I realize that so very easily, a car behind the car that went around me, could be coming up at a great amount of speed and slam right into the back of me, cus he is not expecting a motorcycle to be practically stopped in the line of moderately paced traffic. The bike finally starts back up and I pull into Exxon and call Woods immediately.

I leave a msg with Mike, the manager and explain to him in no uncertain terms that, the bike had just died on me several times, I deem it unsafe and I want them to fix it. He tells me, it's late, there is nothing we can do about it tonight, but he can look at it in the morning. So, now, my bike won't start backup, I'm sitting at Exxon, afraid to get back on it, and have to wait nearly an hour to get someone with a trailer to get my bike back to my house, so that the next day, I can once again get it to Wood's. What a hassle. Thank you Pete and Jason.

6.) The next day we get the bike back to Wood's. I explain that the bike is cutting out on me when I goto downshift and I explain that maybe the carbs need to be checked out, but I'm no mechanic, and I ask them, please please fix this bike.

7.) Mike calls me the next day to explain that he has had 5 people ride this bike and there is nothing wrong with it. So, I ask him if he is implying that I am the problem, that I am killing the bike due to newbie mistakes. He says that if I do not operate the clutch and the throttle appropriately on take off, then this will kill the bike. He implies that this is the problem, that there is no mechanical issue with the bike. At this point my ego screams. I tell him that I KNOW how to kill a bike on takeoff, I dont' know anyone who rides who has never done this. I tell him calmly, NO, that is not the problem, the problem I'm having is not during takeoff (pelic) the problem I'm having is when I'm downshifting the moment i do, the bike cuts out and dies immediately. It does not happen everytime, but it happens more times than not. He tells me maybe he misunderstood earlier, but he has had several people ride the bike and at no time did this problem occur with them.

8.) At this time, I'm deeply disappointed in Woods and the bike. Me and Pete, pick the bike up in his trailer and get it to his house. AT this point I realize Woods is not going to spend time or money in order to remedy the problem. In fact, all they tell me is that this bike is in great condition, and there is "absolutely nothing wrong with this bike".

9.) Ed and Pete both ride the bike and experience issues with the bike... They take apart the Carbs, and find that they are very out of synch. Then they find that the vacuum valve is being plugged with a screw instead of an actual plug, they find other issues as well.

10.) After they fix the issues, they put the bike back together, and now it seems that there are still issues with this bike, for Pete says it is still bogging down and dying.

------------- conclusion.....

I have a practically new bike, with only 2600 miles on it, that has mechanical issues that make this bike unsafe for me to ride. I have a dealer that is not cooperative and I am forced to pay the payment on this bike that runs like shit. To sell this bike with a good conscience requires time and money spent to 'hopefully' fix the issue. If I can't fix the issue, I'm stuck with 6K less in my pocket and a bike that I can't ride.

·
Highly Volitale Substance
2,512 Posts
Another happy customer from Woods...

Sorry to hear about that, hope it gets worked out without too much more stress.

·
Registered
519 Posts
:rant ya i agree with you on that

when i got my 04 i had a problam that they seemed they didnt want to fix then they saw it my way and fixed it

lawers are great

·
Buzzard King
735 Posts
I've been hearing bad things about TJ's too lately.

Take it to Zabor. I've never heard anything bad about his work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bummer!
.........but what I would expect.
I have had bad experiences with most dealers.
Either the work is shoddy or the price is too steep.

I use Motorcycles Unlimited here in Houston.
Good wrenches and good prices.

Find the independent shop that knowswhat they are doing.

Anyway, the bike is good and it will act properly.
The Super-Duck ;) is not controlled by demons.

I would suggest a call to the Attorney General's office.
They have a team that is very interested in your story.

Try the BBB just to harrass.

Maybe Woods might notice if we got a big group of folks to protest in front of the store on a Saturday.

This crap just pisses me off!

-Rick

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Did you buy it w/ a warranty? It's a used bike, and it's not Woods' responsibility to ensure it runs perfect unless they certify or warrant it.

But it does sound like you got the shaft from Woods' service dept. - I'd never take my bike there for anything but warranty work or inspection (nothing against James, it just seems to be corporate policy to stick it to the customer).

I used to hate Woods, but they've done me pretty well the last couple of years. Unfortunately, my last two parts orders have been less than satisfactory, and I'll be looking for alternate sources of Yamaha parts going forward.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am sorry that you are having problems with your new purchase. Having worked at a dealership before I can say Woods is doing more than a lot of dealers will do on the sale of a used bike. It's easy to say "Sold As Is". :(

Might be you want to have one of your more experienced friends, after riding the bike and actually experiencing whatever issues it has, to take the bike to Woods and let them describe what is going on.

Your problem does sound like a kill switch problem. That intermittent cutting out usually is one. This was an intermittent problem on a friends Honda one time. Try bypassing the engine kill switch on the kick stand. You can usually make a jumper wire for it. Unplug the switch at the stand and put your jumper wire in. Ride the bike and see if it cuts out.

Might be the handle bar kill switch also. Seems I remember SATKAT had a kill switch problem with his superchicken once... or I'm thinking of someone else's super hawk. Might be worth investigating.... ??

HTH,

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inlaw1 said:

Might be you want to have one of your more experienced friends, after riding the bike and actually experiencing whatever issues it has, to take the bike to Woods and let them describe what is going on.

Thanks for all who have responded with advice. As far as having one of my "more experienced friends" handle Woods, Nah, I can yell and scream and look mean, and berate and assault with the best of them. I can also explain the problem as I see fit.

My point regarding this thread, my experience with them was less than satisfactory, and I wanted to exercise my right to free speech... and if I can help to deter hassle, inconvenience and stress for the next guy, then it was a good thing.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It also sounds like a regulator/rectifier issue. What you desribed is exactly what happened when my R6's went bad.

·
Registered
243 Posts
zrx24 said:
I've been hearing bad things about TJ's too lately.

Take it to Zabor. I've never heard anything bad about his work.
+1

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Im not sure the bike should be sold "as is" since most dealerships will NOT let
you testdrive the bike what so ever - so you're buying a bike based upon its ability
to idle and rev.

Seeing as though its been almost no time - they should take the bike back and
give you your money back... its a huge company and it would hardly put them out
since they could sell it to another individual.

Yet another reason I wouldnt buy a bike from woods.

·
Registered
802 Posts
+1 on the sidestand kill switch.

Also, if one of the vacuum lines was plugged incorrectly, I would look all over for more of the same. There are many "emissions" pieces on newer bikes that can come off with no problem. Once off, they potentially give more HP. The problem is, many of the pieces run off vacuum and whoever took the parts off could have left a vacuum line open. This will cause all sorts of problems, especially since the carbs most likely work off of the vacuum. Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
That really sucks.

If your friends ride it and see immediate problems, I would ask the Woods mechanics take it around the block too. And don't take their word for it - watch them leave the parking lot on it. Or ask them to ride 5-10 miles on it and check the odometer...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have not had any kill switch issues with my Chicken, nor any issues similarly described here.

Sorry about your issues, tho, I have had my share of mechanics b.s., etc. Good Luck!

(I do recall some arse hitting my kill switch on my old blue bike, Inlaw :laughing )

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
There is a known issue with Superhawks that they will die if you pull the clutch in for long periods of time at or near highway speeds. This issue can be more severe with a less agressive rider, and I've experianced this with another SH. The non-restarting does sound funny though.

Plugging a vacume line with a screw is fairly common, if a bit lazy there are innumerable articles that suggest this trick online. Might want to check through the emissions stuff though.

Zabor seems to do good work, but be very explicit about what you want done. I've had a friend get charged for some stuff she didn't ask for...

I like the suggestion of having someone who's a very experianced rider with some mechanical knowlage ride the bike and see what they think. They will be able to better articulate the problem to Woods, Zabor's, etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is a known issue with Superhawks that they will die if you pull the clutch in for long periods of time at or near highway speeds. This issue can be more severe with a less agressive rider, and I've experianced this with another SH.

Now that you mention it, I do recall this happening. And it did happen more when the bike was "new" to me (i.e. I was less aggressive), and before I had the carbs synchronized. I think the sync did wonders for it. There are also a few personal websites I have run into with mention of fixes for this scenario; I'll have to look at my bookmarks at home.........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wish I knew the name of they guy that fixes bikes - sort of a house out left off Gattis school rd if you're heading toward 685/hutto - his shop had lotsa racing memorabilia in it, but this was several years ago

is there a lemon law that applies to bikes/used bikes? not sure but I'd keep bringing it back till they make it right, also the "5 guys rode it" sounds BS - perhaps they just rode it around the lot or down the frontage road? maybe they would let you lead them in a cage while they ride the bike on the route you took that would put the bike thru the same paces you were having problems with - just to rule out them not riding it far enough to experience the problems...

I think it sucks that you have to go through so much to get satisfaction out of this...

I'll add I've never used Zabors but have heard nothing but good from them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Zabors is great for this sort of stuff. Guy knows his stuff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Man, That sucks..I have not used Woods but I usually go to Cyclecountry in New Braunfels...Its a drive but I could not be happier with their service..

1 - 20 of 125 Posts