Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got Linux to boot the way I want it too. After my last "failure" running linux. I removed it and left it off for over a year (Mandrake 9.0). Installed Mandrake 10.1 on a small 20GB partition to play around with. Lets just say Konqueror SUCKS MAJOR ASS. Slow as fuck and thats the ONLY browser given with it. 9 at least had Galeon which was like Firefox. Put firefox for linux and thunderbird on and its sooooo much faster. Took 30 min to figure out how to put the icons on teh desktop and into the "start menu". Not happy about how small the fonts are in teh browser and teh lack of a few fonts that windows has (soon to be remedied;) ). Still need some stuff to play with.

Now its set up that the only way to boot into linux is off a boot floppy. No floppy in drive, goes straight into windows. I hated having Lilo in the MBR. This way XP loads faster without dealing with Lilo.

Now to figure out other little items on linux since this version is MUCH better than 9.0 with ease.

What sucks now is I need to put all my favourites back in by hand and retype all passwords.:laughing

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
with mandrake, urpmi is your friend....

for instance ..."urpmi galeon" would have resolved your browser issue right away ....once you get comfortable with it, goto http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and setup other urpmi sources (be very careful in making the selections -especially the version #)

The easiest way to edit the "start" menu is by running menudrake (with mandrake) ...I've found that using kmenuedit works sporadically as md tries to take over...

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
If you usually use Firefox in Windows, then just copy your Bookmarks.htm file to a floppy and copy it back in Linux. It might read directly, or you could just use it as your homepage and rebuild your links from there by bookmarking them.

Remember to disable ALL of the network services that you aren't using, if you don't want to get exploited in the first 30 seconds that you're connected tothe 'net ;)

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
LOL...now you see why people still have not adopted Linux across the board.

Unless a "friend" sets it up....there is still a lot that will throw off the average user.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I think I'll just stick with Knoppix when I get the urge...

And you're so right TWT...stories like this are why I laugh when people start bitching about MS, as though there's a realistic alternative for 95% of the computer owning demographic.

·
6,639 Posts
Ride22West said:
I think I'll just stick with Knoppix when I get the urge...

And you're so right TWT...stories like this are why I laugh when people start bitching about MS, as though there's a realistic alternative for 95% of the computer owning demographic.
And this is exactly why I laugh when MS and other folks insist that MS doesn't have a effective monopoly in the operating system system ;)

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Oh, I'll agree 100% that MS effectively has a monopoly. But the last time I checked, there's no one keeping others from developing an easier-to-use/install OS. MS is where they are because they make Windows (whatever flavor you use) fit the lowest common denominator of PC users (and I think it scales pretty well to the advanced user). Linux, unfortunately, still seems targeted at the experienced-to-advanced user. Until that changes, it'll never put a dent in MS.

It's not like Gates is out shooting the developers of better OSs in order to keep them from coming to market. I'm all about a free market and ethical business practices...and I don't have any probs with the way MS works.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Isn't SuSE 9 pretty much like windows? I havent used it yet but I have heard it is just as easy to use as windows.

I want to find a version of linux to put on my web server.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Ride22West said:
Oh, I'll agree 100% that MS effectively has a monopoly. But the last time I checked, there's no one keeping others from developing an easier-to-use/install OS. MS is where they are because they make Windows (whatever flavor you use) fit the lowest common denominator of PC users (and I think it scales pretty well to the advanced user). Linux, unfortunately, still seems targeted at the experienced-to-advanced user. Until that changes, it'll never put a dent in MS.

It's not like Gates is out shooting the developers of better OSs in order to keep them from coming to market. I'm all about a free market and ethical business practices...and I don't have any probs with the way MS works.

I have a problem with it. THey don't Support their products. If you have trouble with your Windows program (98, XP, server, anything) and call them to ask a question they charge you lots of $$$. Most other software and hardware makers do not charge for tech support.
Given, it would be a HUGE expense to have a giant free call center. AND they don't have to do it since they are the "leaders" anyway.

With that being said, Yes I run windows most of the time :laughing

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Compare MS's support program to Linux.

Yeah...that's what I thought. ;) Nothing like posting up in newsgroups trying to get an answer from Finland.

·
6,639 Posts
Ya know what ...I'd put the level of support from someplace like the gentoo forums up against the next to impossible to understand, outsourced....reading from a script, "support technician" that microsoft has ever dreamed of....

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
When I need answers from MS...I go to Knowledge Base or Technet. I've never not been able to solve a problem after that.

On the other hand, trying to get support for Linux is like pulling teeth.

But the support argument is somewhat weak. IT Pros push what an OS can do...it's inevitable that you'll run into the occasional problem. The real test of an OS in terms of what kind of general market share it can get is what kind of problems (and what kind of support) that your average joe home user will experience. I don't know too many home users with go/no-go situations on their home PCs running Windows...on the other hand, Linux has (at least in my past experiences) many many things that just will not work...or that effectively will not work because the workarounds, patches, kernel recompiles, etc. necessary to make something work are beyond the reach of an average home user.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Z....you are correct on the forums for Linux.

However as Ride has stated, there is the Technet and KB to get answers from.

Not to mention, why is it assumed that if you need help from MS you HAVE to call tech support?

There are a TON of great forums for Windows that will quickly help you find your answer.

Lets NOT turn this into a Linux/Windows bash fest.

Both are great OS's, both have their faults.

I just found it ironic since I work in a linux shop with linux enthusiasts that someone had to post a thread about how excited they are that they got a linux distro to work; especially since most of my co-workers think everyone should dump "Microcrap" and get on linux. Of course they also think EVERYONE should know what goes on "under the hood" and GUI's are for the ignorant. They still have a hard to grasping the concept that people want their APPS to work and could give two shits about the underlying OS so long as it is as transparent as possible.

·
Ladies love fatbuck's Cupcakes
17,553 Posts
From an ease of use standpoint, MS rules. The fact that the have pretty much defined the standard in terms of look and feel ensures that they will get the volume. There may be shortcomings in some of their products, but for they cover a lot of bases.
DirectX, Office, ODBC and the fact that installing/uninstalling something requires "double click" + "next" + "next" + "next" + finish.
Have a problem with it? Google, Technet, Knowledge base.

From an organizational standpoint, until Open Office get's up to a point where it can compete directly with MS office, Linux will continue as is with inroads on all aspects of the server market, midrange and mainframe (IBM has the right idea). From a desktop point of view, the linux community needs to get some standards and enforce them (geeks should not design the interface/command line is not an interface/making a window pretty is not the equivalent of making it user friendly).

Have a problem with it?
I would recomend http://linuxquestions.org for those looking to get started. Otherwise plan on hours searching google.

My picks...
Desktop

Novell/Suse = Yast + Evolution(+exchange connectors) + firefox + Open Office. Just make sure you install gcc. (good for install it and run it day to day). Personal addition (currently 9.1) is free but if you want to commit to running it as your main os spend the dough on 9.2Pro
Fedora = Red Hat heritage and good community support. Do everything from play games to run an app server to have it take it shit for you. All at the cost of a download. (Good for learning how to break things and fix em. )

Redhat and Novell are the big boys. The market leaders who actually make a buck or two and pay attention to the needs of the market. The development community will be forced to follow these guys so you are garranteed an easy to install package with decent intructions if you want to try something. Other distros may be nicer in one aspect or another, but for new to intermediate users who want to learn Linux I definitely would recomend hooking up with the companies who have a commitment to the consumer, not the technical/hobbyist community.

·
Good on 2 God on 1
4,568 Posts
What's the latest Red Hat rev???

·
Ladies love fatbuck's Cupcakes
17,553 Posts
chris_y2k_r1 said:
What's the latest Red Hat rev???
Redhat has moved to strictly corporate solution provider and RedHat 9 was there last supported retail solution. They started up the Fedora project which can be considered a user community supported RedHat 10. It's free but if it's screwed up don't go crying to Redhat.
They sell and support Enterprise Linux which is targeted at businesses, not consumers.

·
Dark Lord
2,071 Posts
Zeos said:
And this is exactly why I laugh when MS and other folks insist that MS doesn't have a effective monopoly in the operating system system ;)
It's understandable though. Ever tried to add a HD to an AIX Workstation and partition it the way you want (In my case, I want one 36 gig LVM. I still don't have the stupid right)? And SMIT sucks ass as a config tool. It's basically a mouseable Text Config tool....

Hell Solaris Slices are CAKE compared to this AIX LVM crap. No wonder IBM's pushing Linux themselves...

Mark

·
Super Moderator
23,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Papa_Complex said:
If you usually use Firefox in Windows, then just copy your Bookmarks.htm file to a floppy and copy it back in Linux. It might read directly, or you could just use it as your homepage and rebuild your links from there by bookmarking them.

Remember to disable ALL of the network services that you aren't using, if you don't want to get exploited in the first 30 seconds that you're connected tothe 'net ;)

What network services?:D:D

But I do use Firefox occasional in XP. Gonna try that,

What I get a kick out of is that in konqueror my 5 buton MS intellimouse's side buttons dont work, but in Firefox they do.:laughing

BTW the game forzen bubbles is addicting.:D

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Damn Gentoo, still figuring that out on a spare comp. I'm gunna get it sooner or later. Just got to get sound working with my SB Live card and then I'm good to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts