Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:2weird enter the moto-twilight zone! (add creepy music here):2weird

The year is 2025...Honda officially closes all motorcycle production worldwide to focus on their automobile manufacturing...Yamaha decides they could make more money simply selling pianos, Suzuki goes bankrupt after the majority of squidly riders subsequently kill themselves after only 2 months on their bikes, and Kawasaki commits business suicide after realizing their new products look like :shit ...Italian bikes are no more after the nuclear destruction from 'world-war 3'...there remains only one motorcycle manufacturer in the world...Harley Davidson!-and, for a stipulation...let's say it is against the law to modify the stock bike in anyway...

So the question is...Would you become a Harley Davidson rider if it were the last bike on earth?...OR would you say 'screw that man' :doublefli and officially retire from motorcycling and get into some other hobby...

Attachments

·
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden sto
1,920 Posts
screw that shit man, is Polaris still making wave runners? I'd move to miami and ride wave runners everyday before giving into to the harley bullshit going on in this country.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I rode my daughters 650 cruiser years ago on a ride because it was made up of other old farts like me and I figured that the sport bike would be too much, and too boring at slow speeds. When I got back I honestly felt that if this is all there were to riding I would give it up completly and go back to a bicycle.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Most definitely. A day on any motorcycle is better than a day without. I think it's pretty pathetic to pigeon hole a rider just because of what he/she rides, a motorcyclist should not be defined by his/her bike.

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
Since when did motorcycles become a hobby? :confused

As long as it leans the right way while cornering, I'm on it. I don't have anything against Harley Davidson. They make a good, quality motorcycle.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
sargent said:
Most definitely. A day on any motorcycle is better than a day without. I think it's pretty pathetic to pigeon hole a rider just because of what he/she rides, a motorcyclist should not be defined by his/her bike.
+1

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah....I'd sport a Buell.....they are included with HD right? I meen every other time someone bashes Buell they throw them in with HD:D

·
her
3,166 Posts
sargent said:
Beautifully put. I agree ten fold!!

·
1,920 Posts
plasticweld said:
I rode my daughters 650 cruiser years ago on a ride because it was made up of other old farts like me and I figured that the sport bike would be too much, and too boring at slow speeds. When I got back I honestly felt that if this is all there were to riding I would give it up completly and go back to a bicycle.

Yeah, and atleast you burn calories on a bicycle.

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
14,005 Posts
If it weren't for the pricetag and the fact that there are a couple of other bikes I'd have to get first, i'd have a FXSTS Springer Softtail sitting right next to the Z1000.

It'd look just like this but without the passenger pad and i'd remove the lettering from the tank.

·
Support TC or fly like a fairy!
2,748 Posts
Screw that in 20 years I'd turn around and sell my bike for at least 50 grand!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sargent said: I think it's pretty pathetic to pigeon hole a rider just because of what he/she rides, a motorcyclist should not be defined by his/her bike.
I in no way think Harley's or their riders are as bad as my sarcasm appears...but from honestly and logically asking my own question to myself, I really think I'd just have to go and find another 'hobby' or 'addiction', or whatever you'd like to call it...

While I've never ridden a Harley I have got the chance to sit on a few and while I'm not the strongest fellow, heck, it was hard for me to even lift the bugger off its stand! And looking at this scenario (past the sarcasm) with very real logic, I really think it would be their astronomical pricetags that would inevitably push me away from the sport. The price of sportbikes are one of their key selling points for me...If the only motorcycle on the street was an extremely expensive (for me), extremely heavy (for me), and extremely slow (for what else I could buy car-wise for that price) I'd have to say goodbye to bikes and spend my money else where... such as faster cars, etc...

-and hey, NO BUELLS in my twilight zone! :nono -cause that would completely change my opinion, I like buells :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would for sure....
That's where my love for motorcycles came from. My dad would strap me onto his sissybar on his Harley when i was 3 yrs old and i would fall asleep on the ride from the vibration. Been hooked on bikes ever since. I'm the only one in my family that has a rocket.

·
1,920 Posts
Around here, the harley guys don't use the term sport bike, it's " Jap Crap", Japanese POS, they seem to be overly anxious to tell you to ride american and so on.

When I first got out I used to wav to everyone I passed, Harleys guys Barely return a wav, sometimes they dont even wav back to my dad because hes on a Honda Shadow, and all the people in his US Vets club make friendly jokes about him NOT riding a harley. As you can tell, im not fond of harleys, but if I was... I think just watching how arrogant and overly opinionated 80% of the Harley owners I run into are, would make me not want to be classified with the group of people alone...... and remember I said 80%, so I acknowledge that there are a few cool guys who will say " yeah I had one of those when I was younger, now im not about the speed, I just want to cruise with style".... but most of them wont even look at you on a sportbike from my experience.

TRUE LOCAL STORY

There was one guy who was looking at a decked out vulcan that looked like a harley, and he wanted to know how they got a drive shaft on a harley, and the owner told him its not a harley, its a vulcan. The guy continued to argue with him saying how that had to be BS, it looks just like a harley.

You know what else is funny... the guys who have no problem bragging that you have to RIDE american, but they have no problem DRIVING a honda accord, I guess they pay attention to the consumer reviews when they buy their cars.

Something else thats funny... all the 13k miles I put on my bike this year, I was always worried about losing it in a turn, or getting hit by a car or something as my first accident scenario. However, I got taken out by an EXTREMELY careless rider who rear ended me on a Honda Valkyrie... I gotta stop telling cruiser jokes before one of them kills me.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Aside from the obvious irony of being forced to ride a Harley in an country for which choice is king, I'd still ride. It's what I do.

Would I be happy? Well no...after all choice is king! :shrug

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
They still make steel tubing right? I'd build my own and put one of those awefull honda twin-cylinder motors they sell in generators in it.

Acctually, one of my goals is to eventually build and ride a motorcycle that I built the chassie for from scratch.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts