Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even if there was no helmet law in Washington? I know there has been times for me in the summer where I wish I didn't have to wear one.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Superhawk98168 said:
I understand you there. But I still get that wind in your hair urge!
do you get that rock in the chin urge too! I could never picture my self riding without a lid!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would probably ride a few times without it when I just wanted to cruise the neighborhood or something, but I would say 99% of the time i would wear my helmet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get me wrong I would always wear a helmet also but I was just wondering how many out there get that urge. I see so many of these Harley guys running around with these skull caps on and I wonder to myself what the hell is that lid going to do for you if you... well you know the ending.

·
stupid people suck....
3,464 Posts
i rode in idaho for 3 years without a helmet law and the first time a peanut M&M sized bug hit me in the face at about 130mph i realized that i'd be better off with a helmet on. so yes, i'd still wear one if it was not the law. glad i learned it the easy way instead of the hard way.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
not wearing a helmet is dumb.

here is a test you can take to see if you want to wear a helmet or not while riding.

1) stand in 1 foot in front of a brick wall
2) put on your helmet
3) smash your head into this wall as hard as you can
4) take off your helmet
4) repeat step 3

note which one hurt more, with or without helmet.

thank you, that is all :redflip

·
Vok Intu Mi EYz
4,393 Posts
I would now but when I start riding, it was in Chicago and there was not helmet law so nobody wore them. The lid that i did have spent more time on the side of my bike then on my head I how ever did wear it @ night cuz the freakin bugs hurt. To be honest if there was no law here In probably not wear one all the time. Id still be rokin the franklins and ski googles when i wasnt wearing a helmet. NYCE back me up here!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've ridden up to 30 mph without a helmet on, and it was quite unbearable. The wind made my eyes water, and the amount of wind noise at 30 mph is rediculous.

I'll always wear a helmet when I ride.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Man, I get nervous just walking down stairs without a helmet. I wear one when I snowboard and ride a bicycle too. Both have saved me from injury more than once.

·
1,280 Posts
If I had a chance to not wear a helmet I would take that offer......but not if I was railin' or stunnin' hard...that's just asking for trouble..

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
No way in hell I'd ride without a helmet on...that's just crazy! :shake

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I hate wearing seatbelts. I know its smart but they are uncomfortable. I am waiting for the token "being in a hospital is uncofortable too" blah blah blah.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I'm so clumsy I should wear a helmet to bed at night, wearing proper gear should never be a question in my opinion, If you have ever been down hard you would probably automatically consider it part of the equation ( I ride + pavement is hard + pavement is like sand paper + rocks and other debris hurt when flung at you at 100 + mph = I WEAR GEAR!!)

·
Registered
811 Posts
+1 on always wearing a helmet, I rode down my street once without it on and I felt totally paranoid that I was gonna fall and crack my head open, even though I was going like 10mph.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
upslogger19 said:
I hate wearing seatbelts. I know its smart but they are uncomfortable. I am waiting for the token "being in a hospital is uncofortable too" blah blah blah.
I think you should be able to not wear your seatbelt if you choose. I don't understand the uncomfortable part. I'm uncomfortable NOT wearing my seatbelt.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
I started riding when there was no helmet law in WA. I rode without one in the main but often wore one if it suited me. I loved, make no mistake about it. The "wind through your hair" feeling was awesome and I developed a very nice peripheral "vision" of kind of knowing where everything was all around me.

Eye protection has always been a law (albeit one that can be contested). That kept the wind out of my eyes.

Once I had to start wearing one I rebelled. I eventually did it because I wanted to ride more than rebel against the helmet law.

Now it's totally comfortable to me and I couldn't imagine riding without one. If the law were repealed I'd probably still ride with one most all the time, but I'll be honest and say I wouldn't for small trips to the store, etc. It's pretty cool to just walk out to the bike in my shorts & tank top in the Summer and cruise to the store for something. And I'm sure statistically the short trips to the store are the most dangerous, but I'm just being honest.

The people that started riding with a lid will probably have a different response than mine. Kind of like me with cars -- I use to actually "tune" an engine by turning a wrench and adjusting the distributor. I doubt most guys even know what a distributor is these days so they wouldn't appreciate the feeling involved...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts