Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I started it, and it barely idled with the choke all the way on, at about 1,000 rpm. Don't even think about letting off the choke or it's gone. Tried gently rolling on the throddle after about 2 mins of waiting, and it starts sputtering and wont go above 3k. Tried letting off the choke again...gone. Restarted it, barely idles, then it stalled out after about 20 seconds. Tried starting it...wouldnt start. Tried starting it....wouldnt start. Sorry this is all in fragments, I was having a shitty day already, this is not helping, and I am at college so this is extra frustrating.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I assume it ran when you parked it? When? Almost sounds like your borderline ready to go on reserve by your explanation. Easiest answer. Did it sit out side in the rain? Could be a moisture problem.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it ran fine when i parked it. I don't get it. I filled it up Thursday and you can still see there is plenty of gas in the tank. I doubt moisture, it hasnt rained and all the dew and all was gone when i tried starting it at 11:00 this morning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Boy you got me!! You don't have a Power Comander on there do you? Wish I could get my hands on it. Always looking for knowledge. If it's not the gas issue, the first place I would start is the connectors. Was it firing on all 4 cyclinders? Hopefully someone will come along thats experianced the same problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you had any recent work don to the bike?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pull your plugs............make sure they aren't fouled, if your not sure, snap a picture and post it on here.....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Shane said:
Pull your plugs............make sure they aren't fouled, if your not sure, snap a picture and post it on here.....
i had an identical problem on my F3, pulled my plugs they looked great, but wasn't sure so i showed them to a few guys that are bike guru's including a former AMA national championship winner and all including him said they looked perfect... well i figured at 2.50$ each or whatever it was worth a try so i bought new ones, put em in, and it started right up and ran much much better than before... he had this problem before and replaced his plugs so his case might be different, i think mine were very old plugs and something other than the tip could have been damaged or wore out from old age but his are new so i think your right he'd be able to tell by just looking at them... no reason not too, when i have a problem i like to track problems down by starting cheapest/easiest first

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since when are spark plugs cheapest or easiest? :confused :D

Seriously, I changed them in August, they were a total bitch. And i don't know where you got these $2.50 plugs, I went to the Honda dealer and got some (probably my first mistake) and they were about $7 each!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I can't see how the plugs would go bad over night. Only if you got a shit pile of bad gas! One way or another, with your finding of the hose, the tank should come off. I know this might sound stupid, but make sure they didn't stuff something down your exhaust pipe. Use something to make sure there is no obstruction. She ain't gonna start if it's obstructed. Just another guess!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem when some water and rust got into my two-fiddy's carbs...doesn't sound like anything had the opportunity to get into yours, but try draining the float bowls, it's FREE and not too incredibly hard to do. :confused

Jared

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
cc_oldguy said:
I don't know much but one stupid thing it could be is your idle adjustment knob.
i thought the same thing... i suggested this and he said he already messed with that and it wasn't the problem

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
start it up and let it run for about 10-15 seconds (do whatever you gotta do to keep it running)

Reach down and feel all four header pipes. See if one or more is still cold. When you find a cold one...you have determined which cyclinder is not firing. You said you had recently changed your plugs. I would check to makesure you:

A: have your plug caps on tight
B: have your plugsd gapped correctly
C: Plugs tightened down plus 1 quarter turn.

If it runs fine....then all of the sudden runs like crap....it's prob something you missed in your changing of the plugs. I think the plugs can be changed in your bike leaving the tank on. I will sidestep the pinched hose theory.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scot said:
start it up and let it run for about 10-15 seconds (do whatever you gotta do to keep it running)

Reach down and feel all four header pipes. See if one or more is still cold. When you find a cold one...you have determined which cyclinder is not firing. You said you had recently changed your plugs. I would check to makesure you:

A: have your plug caps on tight
B: have your plugsd gapped correctly
C: Plugs tightened down plus 1 quarter turn.

If it runs fine....then all of the sudden runs like crap....it's prob something you missed in your changing of the plugs. I think the plugs can be changed in your bike leaving the tank on. I will sidestep the pinched hose theory.
I can't get it started at all now, let alone for 10-15 seconds : (

1 - 15 of 15 Posts