Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Falling asleep to the sound of gunfire, nightly.
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last two days, something has been beating the shit out of the signal from my wireless router. The firmware is up to date, software for my wireless adapters are up to date and this shit just started happening. Nothing has changed. Does anyone have any intelligent suggestions as to what may be the problem. AND, It's happening with two DIFFERENT wireless routers. One is a B and the other is a G. One Linksys (fairly new) and the other a Microsoft. And it's not the wireless phone. It's disconnected.

·
Learn'ed
872 Posts
I guess I would need to know what "beating the shit out of my router" means. Does it not work, is the signal strength weak, is somebody else using it? Elaborate...

·
the fruit of my loins
6,518 Posts
What Jeff said, sounds like someone else is on the channel you are using, either another AP or a phone or something.

·
STEW'S LOVE CHILD
20,003 Posts
well I would say it is the linksys cause well I hve had nothing but problems with linksys but since the other one is crapping on you to I don't have a clue. Try changing channel reseting the routers, and resting the modem too. When you are having trouble can you access the router via wireless but not the internet or is it so bad you can't get into the router without being hard wired? If you can get in with out being hard wired but just can't get on the net it is probably your modem that is causing issues

·
yo no se
1,206 Posts
It sounds likely that you are getting interference from a neighbor. My neighborhood is TERRIBLE with interference and I’ve had trouble with my wireless ever since I moved here because there are so many people in the area running wireless shit. I can literally find 7-8 wireless networks when I do a SSID search – and half of them are unsecured... morons.

Just FYI – B and G operate on the same frequency so f you have problems with one you’ll have problems with the other.

There is a new standard coming along that works better in high traffic areas but at the moment it is unratified and therefore not standardized yet (It uses MIMO and you can read all about it here: http://www.networkworld.com/details/6830.html). There are some companies making pre-standardized versions now but there is no guaranteeing that it will be compatible with future versions once the standard is ratified. Right now I am using Belkin’s version that they call Pre-N and it has solved my problem for the most part. In all honesty the Belkin router is a POS and if I had to do it again I’d get the Linksys flavor which they call SRX.

Let me know if you want anymore info on it.

·
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Orange_R6 said:
I guess I would need to know what "beating the shit out of my router" means. Does it not work, is the signal strength weak, is somebody else using it? Elaborate...
the signal is extremely week or none exitstant when I'm not in the same room the router is in.

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
you must be using bluetooth, disable it, tell me im right. go on

·
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most times I have to be connected physically to the router with CAT5 or be in the same room with it. I changed that channel again last night and it got a little better, but still jumps from 11Mbps to 2 or 1 Mbps. I'm starting to think that one of my neighbors got some new fangled wireless thingy that's cutting in. This sucks ass.

·
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wingzero said:
you must be using bluetooth, disable it, tell me im right. go on
not this time skippy

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
im sure its bluetooth fucking your signal over. move your router to the other side of the room or something or another room and you will prolly have full strength. what your describing happened to me and it was my new usb bluetooth thing. bluetooth operates on the same frequency i believe and just jams wifi

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
if you have a bluetooth phone you can try and send a file over bluetooth and usually the phones will search for a bluetooth reciever... if there is one within range it will tell you then you will know.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
bluetooth with jam up a lot of wireless signals, but not always (they work well together for me:shrug), but it's something to try. also, if you have any other wireless devices near your router, move them away. this includes cell phones, microwaves, tv's etc.

on the more expensive route, you can drop teh money for a MIMO router. I've had the belkin Pre-N that agent has, as well as the linky. I've also heard good things about the netgear version. they tend to be ~120. may try getting one on a "trial" basis and see if that solves your problems.

another solution that would almost certainly work is to go over to 802.11A routers and wireless cards. these work on the 5 GHz range and there's very little interference on that band.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts