Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is the biggest pos ever. I will never ever buy another computer. ONce this one goes the next time. I'm throwing it off of a bridge.

Now, winblows was updating itself. When it installed service pack 2 it stopped working and I had to do a restore. It's done this twice. Any ideas?!?

·
Mad Hawk
5,313 Posts
Not enough info.....

I have seen issues with SP2 trying to install on an existing XP w/ SP1 that has been running for some time. Too much other crap on teh system.

2 choices.

1. don't do it!
2. Wipe the system clean and do a fresh from scratch install....

·
Super Moderator
23,501 Posts
First thing is to disable the automatic updater. Then go to the windows update screen and choose CUSTOM INSTALLATION so you can choose the updates you want.

Also did you have Norton on you PC before you put SP2 on? Apparently theres 'issues' with a PC that has norton running and trying to put SP2 on then. Put SP2 on then the norton works fine.

Whats it doing? Locking? No boot?

If I was within 200 miles of you, I'd come up to help ya. But Halifax isnt a day trip for me.:D:D

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IOt's the original copy. And I did a format and installed windows. Then it started it's updating. After service pack 2 installed itself. It wouldn't load up windows. It would bring up the screen that gave me the following options.. "Safe mode. With networking. With Command prompt. Start normally. And start at the last working configuration."

From there I have to go into safe mode and do a system restore.

·
Super Moderator
23,501 Posts
OK just do teh updates WITHOUT updating SP2. Apparently you might have issues with SP2 on your pc.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YZFRob said:
OK just do teh updates WITHOUT updating SP2. Apparently you might have issues with SP2 on your pc.
That's what I've done. I've shut down auto update. I just thought it was a good thing to have. And if it's not that essential then fawk it.

Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts