Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike so I am not sure if this is how it hould run or not ... When I am sitting and rev the bike up I can smell the unburned fuel as if the bike is running really rich. Is this how it should run or should I have it checked out? Anything that I can check?:D :redflip :D

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
If your dealer has a gas analyzer have them hook it up, that'll tell you really quickly, it shouldn't cost more than $30 or so (I had my old gixxer checked and it was $15)

Alternatively...pull the plugs and have a look at them. If the electrodes are darker than "tan" you're probably running too rich.

Have you done any mods which would make you think it's running rich? As a general rule, they run a tad on the lean side from the factory for EPA emissions testing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zeos said:
If your dealer has a gas analyzer have them hook it up, that'll tell you really quickly, it shouldn't cost more than $30 or so (I had my old gixxer checked and it was $15)

Alternatively...pull the plugs and have a look at them. If the electrodes are darker than "tan" you're probably running too rich.

Have you done any mods which would make you think it's running rich? As a general rule, they run a tad on the lean side from the factory for EPA emissions testing.
Nope the bike is stock right down to the air filter. I'll have a look at the plugs later today.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did you buy the bike used? If so there's the possibility that the filter could be dirty, and hence restrictive to air flow. This would cause a rich-running condition. Dirty carbs and/or improper fuel floats could also do the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts