Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 ZX6 and tossing around the idea of going up to a 9,anyone got any input to help me decide.I am looking for some more weight and torque.If I were to go with a 9 what's a 2002 ZX6R worth with a full D&D and a shaved rear fender?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The only thing you will really get out of the 9 is a higher insurance premium. :eek I'd stick with the 6. What made you think about gettin a 9?

·
Registered
3 Posts
PCEMKR.....I recently went from a 2K2 ZX9R to a 2K3 ZX6RR......I've always had a 600 till last year.....I thought I wanted more weight and torque just like you.....after about a year on the 9, I missed the flickability of the 6.....Don't get me wrong the 9 has loads of HP and is comfy.....but I think I felt more confident on the 6.......just some back round on me......this is my 4th 600.....and I weigh around 180.....I have 17 years of riding experience, all on Ninjas....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I traded up from a zx-6e to a zx-9r, I miss the ability to throw the six into corners and control it, but I am also 6'8" tall and weigh 315 pounds, I actually am more able to ride longer distances on my nine than I was on my six. You dont seem to have the weight issue like I do. Besides 140 on a 6 is the same as 140 on a 9, they will both kill ya if your not carefull. I also like the fact that I can actually feel the power of the 9 in the throttle since I am so big, I had some lag issues when all my buds left the light if you know what I mean....:rant

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input gentlemen,like I said the 6 is fast enough but I am looking for some more comfort and I want to keep riding Ninjas and if I get some more torque,just consider it a bonus:clap
By the way I weigh around 240.

·
Registered
535 Posts
well the 9 definitely feels better......i rode 6's at keith codes schools and i felt like a gorilla on a tricycle (6'4", 240)....I like my 9 for daily riding, but its still great for romps thru the twisties.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The zx-9r is the most comfortable bike that I have owned in the sport class. it seems to be a better fit for the bigger rider. and any bike that pulls the front up that easy with my fat ass on it is a keeper.:rant

·
Registered
559 Posts
240 ??

I say go for the 900. I like the extra power, the extra comfort (corbin) and its a bit more stable. yes less flickable- but are you actually going after a national title?? or just riding.

buy the 900

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah dude 240, what can I say. I want to get the 9 but I just got off the phone with progressive, $26 more per year with liability,$2300 more a year for full coverage w/500 dollar deductible. That sucks:eek

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
PCEMKR said:
Yeah dude 240, what can I say. I want to get the 9 but I just got off the phone with progressive, $26 more per year with liability,$2300 more a year for full coverage w/500 dollar deductible. That sucks:eek
Progressive sucks. They are only Motorcycle friendly, if you ride a cruiser.

If I wanted full coverage with Progressive, I would have had to pony up $2000 / yr. As it stands, I'm paying $1000 for Comp/liability. Stilll rediculous.

Fortunately, the points I accumulated prior to getting the 9R will be off, soon. State Farm, along with insuring my Jeep for less than Allstate, will insure the 9R, full coverage, for about $500/yr. Uh yeah!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to a Stste Farm agent last night,looks promising and you are right Progressive sucks

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
i'm 6'4" 290... and im on a 600... and im plenty comfortable :confused

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
What else have you ridden though? Everything is relative. If you have never been really comfortable on a motorcycle, then of course you think you are comfortable on a 600. Me I am a touch lighter than you, have ridden just about every major sportbike out there, and some touring ones, and a sportbike is not comfortable... At least for taller guys... And of course I'm not 20 years old either. :laughing

·
Registered
174 Posts
NinjaRat said:
Progressive sucks. They are only Motorcycle friendly, if you ride a cruiser.

If I wanted full coverage with Progressive, I would have had to pony up $2000 / yr. As it stands, I'm paying $1000 for Comp/liability. Stilll rediculous.

Fortunately, the points I accumulated prior to getting the 9R will be off, soon. State Farm, along with insuring my Jeep for less than Allstate, will insure the 9R, full coverage, for about $500/yr. Uh yeah!
tyr www.bike-line.com for better rates. I am 34, 1 ticket last 3 years and pay 330 a year for liablity and uninsured motorist only.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I took the plunge and got the 9,checked around on the insurance and ended up getting it through State Farm for an easy to take 405.00 per year for full coverage(pays to shop around):clap

1 - 20 of 28 Posts