Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time to check and adjust the valves on my 2001 Kawi 6R. There hasn't been much traffic in this forum just yet, so I may be jumping the gun by asking this, but I'll put it out there anyway.

What's the scoop? I've never done this before on ANY bike, but I want to learn how. I've done plenty of work on cars, and a fair bit of work on bikes. I know I can learn with little difficulty, but I'd like some advice from someone with experience.

And....I know this is asking a lot, but if anyone has specifics to the ZX6R job, please let me know. Scans from the manual or anything of that nature would be greatly appreciated. I know the best option is to buy the manual for myself, but I'd like to get as much information as possible before spending the money on something I may never do. I'd rather not take it to the dealer (who knows if they even ever touch the thing?), and this seems like my best bet.

·
Moderator,
3,129 Posts
welp, I'm not going to offer you much light on this unless our bikes are similar.

but I can tell you to spend the $30 for the shop manual. It's the best thing that you can get if you plan on keeping your bike for an extended period of time.

good luck.. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree. The 30 dollars shop manual will save you hundereds on repairs if you have little mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
greco gixxer said:
welp, I'm not going to offer you much light on this unless our bikes are similar.

but I can tell you to spend the $30 for the shop manual. It's the best thing that you can get if you plan on keeping your bike for an extended period of time.

good luck.. :)
I also agree and it's not a job for he faint of heart, it will require you to break her down so you can access the valve train. proper tools are also a must.

·
Registered
140 Posts
...But it's pretty easy once you have the service manual and the required tools - Just follow the pretty pictures and plan on, say, most of the morning for your first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts